Thursday, March 06, 2008

Today's Big News

The Bootleggers by Edward Hopper from Art.com

Mom called this morning to tell me that I'm in today's San Diego Union Tribune! It's a bit surreal to be in the hometown paper that my parents read every morning. But hey, I'll take it!

Last night, I taped Ghost Hunters but I promised Ryan that I'd wait till Friday to watch it with him. So no can tell me what happened, okay?

I finished the revision outline for the ghost story book. With all the research that I've been doing, it's going to be so much fun to go back into the story. But here's the strange thing about historical research for fictional purposes ... my ghost smuggled tequila and Mexican beer across the border during Prohibition. I had consulted with one of the librarians in the history room at the Downtown San Diego Library and she gave me the idea that perhaps he used boats to smuggle hooch through the bay. But I couldn't find any evidence that such activity took place in San Diego, which put the author and former history major at an impasse. Do I attempt to fudge history?

Well, on Sunday afternoon the Little Dude insisted that I turn on the TV. (He'd already watched his morning quota and it was a beautiful day outside.) He managed to turn it on and lo and behold, there's a documentary on KPBS about a smuggler named Dan Carniero who made a fortune smuggling alcohol into LA on a boat.

Sometimes, you really can't make this stuff up.

Cheers,
Mary

2 comments:

ShoeGirl Corner said...

TOO COOL! I'm going to read it right now. I'm also going to send this to my niece who lives in San Diego. OH and my sister is visiting there this weekend.

Broadcasie said...

Nice share thanks for posting

ShareThis