Monday, November 19, 2007

Friday Night at Cantera

Alas, I have no photos to share. I thought the camera was in my bag but it was on my desk!

We raised a lot of money for YWCA's Wise Place and I think there are plans to do it again so I'll keep you posted.

One of the coolest things happened to me. A woman came upstairs where I was hanging out and I noticed her look at my table and then walk away to talk to her friends. She did this a couple of times and even though I smiled, she kept wandering away. So finally, she walks up to me with her friends on either side and says with her voice shaking, "I have all your books. I'm a big fan."

Dude, I almost cried. (But I didn't!) I just stood up, shook her hand and said thank you because honestly, I had no idea what to say. (By the way, what should one say in this situation? I always imagine it should be something elegant and inspiring but I was floored.) Many moons ago, I did the same thing to James Elroy. I wanted to go up to him and yet, I was so intimidated that I couldn't. Finally he picked up a book, signed it and handed it to a guy to give to me.

So it was very cool to meet a fan of my own! (Fan? I have fans?!?! I still can't get over it.)

Anyway, I've been up since 3 a.m. today because someone who shall not be named decided he wanted milk and chips. One day when he's seventeen and sleeping in till 1 p.m., I will be merciless in my vengeance!

But I'm still in NaNoMo mode so I have pages to write. I think I cracked the first 100 pages of the new book. This weekend I stopped keeping track because it was driving me nuts, so I'll update my stats tonight.

I wasn't going to do this but I can't stop myself...

This is the house that is inspiring my new book! I grew up not far from this street and I always asked my parents to drive me by the Victorians (there's a huge mansion across the street from this one) because there was something about them that got to me.

Finally, after twenty odd years, I'm writing a story set in this house. I'm so giddy that I'm annoying myself! So I'll go now.

No comments:

ShareThis