Monday, January 07, 2008

Can't Deal With This Anymore

Sinner's Game from Art.com

Today was one of those days when I actually went to Monster.com to look at job postings. I was about three-quarters of the way through chapter 15 when I couldn't write another word of uninspired, torpid prose. The dialogue was okay but at this stage, my scenes have no transitions and I'm not even sure if these scenes are taking me closer to the end of the book.

After perusing the job market, I remembered the days when I'd be at work thinking it was 3:30 p.m. when it was only 1:15 p.m. and dying for that clock to spin around to 5:30 p.m. so I could go home and write all the scenes that I had been thinking about since I'd driven to the office that morning. Yep, that did the trick.

Suddenly, I remembered what this chapter was about and how it fit into the greater scheme of the book. I didn't want to practice my presentations or run errands or even walk the six feet to the kitchen for a pick-me-up. I wanted to write all because I remembered the time when I swore that I'd never complain about being a full-time writer.

No more looking back ... unless I need to be reminded of how good I've got it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we all have those moments where our job seems awful and we start daydreaming about other jobs. Glad to hear you pulled yourself out of it.

J.K. Mahal said...

It's okay to complain. Really. We've all had one of those days (some of us more than one) at some point.

But I'm glad you got back in your seat and wrote it out.

I'm looking forward to tackling a new chapter tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Margo Candela said...

Man, Mary, I've have fantasies of working at the pretzel place at the mall just so I'd have something "real" to do. Then I remember how much it sucks to be on your feet all day when you have cramps and I get back to typing. Glad to hear you worked through your slump!

Barrie said...

I think it's okay to complain about full-time writing. At least every once in a while. We spend so much time alone and with pretend people. Life just gets kind of skewed. May your writing go more smoothly.

ShareThis