Friday, March 31, 2006

The Green Tea Martini: An Analysis


Last night I made the green tea martini. The recipe calls for a tsp of Cointreau, an ounce of chilled green tea and two ounces of orange flavored vodka with a drop of simple syrup. I omitted the simple syrup because of the sugar in the Cointreau - I'm more of a savory person than sweet - and added chopped fresh ginger to the green tea.

I then recalled the scene from The Thin Man when Nick Charles, played by William Powell, explains proper technique:

The important thing is the rhythm! Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time.


So I shook the green tea martini at a waltz time and then poured it into a chilled martini glass. The color was reminiscent of chardonnay. The orange and ginger dominated the taste of the green tea, leaving a fresh zing on the palette. Unlike the classic martini, or even the vodka martini, this cocktail is a featherweight. You start to feel unconditional love for all of humankind at about three-quarters of the way through the drink.

7 comments:

jkmahal said...

Yes, it is great for that unconditional love -- not to mention it makes a zingy addition to chicken in hoisin sauce. :)

Definitely a drink to make again -- with the proper rhythm, of course. And the proper accessories -- i.e. good friends.

Hmm.. I think I have a chocolate martini recipe that has some people's name on it.

Love ya,
Jen

Dana Diamond said...

Recipe for a Fabulous Time

Mix equal parts Green Martini with Good Friends. Garnish with Unconditional Love.

:) d

PS Jen, chocolate, huh? Hmmm...I don't know...Well, maybe just for research purposes... ;)

Erica Orloff said...

Well, Mary . . . you fianlly did it! Thank you for your martini research, which benefits all of mankind/womankind. At least us martini-swillin' folks. I'll have to try it!

E

celiamarti said...

It's a good thing that you girls are 21!! Love from your 2nd Mom!!

Dana Diamond said...

You know...that is a fantastic point!

As we all know, I'm terrible with recipes. I completely forgot to add the dash of Designated Driver!

And for any YAs that might be lurking, I'm 21. Okay, I'm 22, but who's counting.

;) d

Camy Tang said...

Yum! Sounds like something I'll have to try.

Camy

Green Tea said...

Nice post, thanks for sharing this wonderful and useful information with us.

Green Tea Weight Loss

ShareThis